Monday, October 12, 2009

Yesterday, All My Plastic Seemed So Far Away


From my "I have no garage thus garage sale" sale... Selling: Little Tikes primary color "Wave Climber". Used outdoors (surprise!) this toy has been scrubbed yearly with baking soda and vinegar mixture as well as sprayed periodically with a vinegar hydrogen peroxide solution to discourage backyard(igan) animals from nesting (and ants from gathering). So it's relatively clean. Fading consistent with age. Can be disassembled (with swearing and elbow grease) and my hose is your hose to clean the corners. This is good for smaller backyards.

Feeling guilty about selling so likely won't negotiate on price (unless you buy all my other listings) - $15.

colors (and age) differ
http://www.littletikes.com/toys/wave-climber.aspx
Product Size 51.00"L x 42.00"W x 52.00"H / 80.00 lbs.

Also for sale: Pink Cozy Coupe - no seatbelt $5, Red rideon thing with door and canopy cover (too lazy to look up name - totally beat up) $1, pink bigwheel (no foot pedal) $1, Little Tikes Basketball Net (photo shows no net. Net was washed today with vinegar and dishsoap and is line drying in basement) $3


We cleaned out the yard, washed off some things, and I sold Ellie's "wave climber" and her little Tykes Pink Pushcar yesterday. I've gotten rid of some toys, some clothes, but the climber and the car have done me in. I'm not sure why. Am I pushing her through stages? She played with it all through April, through May - then we had all the work done and the yard was useless. Doug said she outgrew it, I say she had other things to do and would have come back to it. When other kids played here the climber was toy celeb.

Is this part of wanting your children to have what you didn't? Is this about the vision of her playing on it throughout childhood? Am I projecting into the future her sitting on the shelf playing peekaboo and laughing. She is so young. Did I get rid of it before she was ready? Why oh why was it so important yesterday?
Oh sure it collected spiders, and leaves, and dirt. It killed the yard, it killed the aesthetic, it's about to be winter, it seemed like a good idea.

Was it the $15 dollars? Surely not. We turned around and spent $15 on face painting and icecream at the pumpkin fair. Why oh why did we sell it and why am I so upset? Will the yard look better? Surely. Do I miss it? Likely not. Will she miss it? Meh. She may. Possibly but she got - instead - 2 scooters and a bike. So what's the issue today?

I don't really want to think about it.

No comments: