I went to a playdate Friday. My sister hates the term playdate, actually a lot of people do. Something about the yuppification of society. I suppose I could say "I went for coffee Friday". My hostess was someone I admire, I find her bright, entertaining and slightly intimidating the way that someone who appears to be Living rather then Coasting can come across. (I'm always impressed with someone who has Interests and Hobbies). Her other guest was another borderline typeA that?who? I also find interesting. And bright.
I thoroughly enjoyed myself.
Oh sure, the insecure part of me wonders if I stayed too long, talked too much, revealed my plebeian nature or my ignorance manifested itself in some small way. But, just like a drunk day next, it's better not to ask outloud..."Did they like me? Did I make a fool of myself?"
I told another friend that morning that I was going over.
"I'm looking forward to it. I'm looking forward to talking with people who are verbal. Articulate. Who can carry the conversation. Who are just introspective enough to be self challenging. I'm looking forward to it."
"How'd it go?" my husband asked.
"It went great" I replied. "Ellie was terrific."
"Great. But I meant, how were the mom's?"
"Oh I know them. I like them." I stressed "I really like them."
As I turned from the sink I thought of something interesting heard that day.
"Did you know that BOTH of the woman I met today were married when they met their current husbands?"
My husband laughed.
I pondered outloud the irony of how I went from having no married friends at all just 3 years ago to now knowing woman married twice. And men married twice. Well, knowing LOTS of people...married twice.
"What I'm amazed by" he said "Was how it even came up. I'm amazed at the things you mothers share."
I looked at him. Not challengingly but questioningly.
"How open everyone is" he clarified.
"You know, like when you were having the knitting thing. I was upstairs astonished by what you guys were casually tossing out. Like the stripper thing. The woman who said she and her husband will go see strippers..."
I interrupted "Since when do you care about strippers?"
"No no, not that. It was how she was all casual. Like 'Not that we're swingers or anything' and she was so matter of fact. As if it didn't matter either way. She probably would have delivered it in the exact same way if they were swingers."
"Oh yeah. she would have." I said.
He continued to muse. "Although I suppose if they WERE swingers, I guess that's how you'd go about it..."
So my husband is entertained by my life.
Good fodder that.
1 comment:
I just love these little snippets of conversation. You guys are a hoot . . .
Post a Comment